The Oral-B Genius Pro 8000 is a Bluetooth-connected smart toothbrush that uses onboard sensors and your phone’s front-facing camera to track the position of the brush head in your mouth as you clean your teeth. We see the appeal of the real-time feedback that position-detecting smart toothbrushes offer, but after spending nearly five hours testing the Genius, interviewing a dentist and a dental hygienist, and comparing it with two competing models, we think it’s overkill for most people.
What’s in the Box?
- Braun Oral-B Genius Pro 8000 rechargeable electric toothbrush in Black
- Charging station
- Toothbrush head storage compartment
- 3 x Brush heads (1 x CrossAction, 1 x Pro White/3D White, 1 x Sensitive)
- Smart travel case with USB port in Black
- Smart travel case charger
- Smartphone holder
Oral-B Genius Pro 8000 Key Features
- Oral-B 3D movement cleaning system (Oscillating-Rotating-Pulsating)
- Triple pressure sensor technology
- Removes 100% more plaque than a manual brush
- Rechargeable battery
- 6 cleaning modes (Daily Clean, Gum Care, Sensitive, Whitening, Pro-Clean, Tongue Cleaning)
- New Pro-Clean mode offering 3,000 more movements per minute
- Visible pressure sensor
- 360 degree SmartRing
- Clean timer including quadpacer
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Smart travel case with USB charging
- Brush head storage compartment
Pros and Cons
- Multiple cleaning modes – With 6 different modes even the most demanding of users is covered with the options available on the Genius Pro 8000. Including a standard daily clean mode to whitening to a tongue cleaning mode this brush could work really well when shared amongst users with different desires and needs.
- Battery life – Thanks to a change to lithium-ion batteries rather than Nickel Metal Hydride, the Genius Pro 8000 has the longest battery life of all Oral-B models at 12 days. It is still short of the 2-3 weeks of Sonicare, but it is a positive step forward.
- Design – A more consistent and cylindrical design that does not feel as large or bulbous as the Pro 7000.
- Pressure sensor – Get alerted to the times you are brushing too hard. A bright red illumination alerts you when you need to reduce pressure to avoid doing any damage.
- SmartRing – It lights up one of 12 colours, the choice is yours. It is a small but nice touch that just makes the brush feel more personal. It is this that illuminates as 30 second intervals too and changes red as part of the pressure sensor configuration.
- Box contents – A great box contents. You have almost everything you could need or want here to get up and running and make the most of what that Genius brush can offer.
- Smart travel case – This just makes sense. A premium travel case for a premium brush. Not a cheap plastic case, one that looks and feels great and can charge your brush and smartphone too.
- Oral-B app and position detection technology – This is a very modern, clever and interactive way to clean your teeth and make sure you do so properly.
- America Dental Association (ADA) approved – Passed strict lab tests to achieve ADA and American National Standards Institute-approved dental standards.
Design, Usability, Clean & General Use
The mouth is the gateway to your body, through your mouth passes so much. A good oral hygiene routine can really affect you, your health and how you feel.
You probably have had a few occasions where your gums are sore and inflamed, you feel a bit run down and generally want to feel better with a more positive outlook.
You might be surprised how just 2 minutes of thorough cleaning twice a day can impact on this.
Investing in a good toothbrush certainly helps and whilst it does not have to be the Genius Pro 8000, this is one of the best available today.
There is a lot to this toothbrush. Who knew a toothbrush could be so complicated. Let me start by pointing out some key facts and features about the brush so that you understand what exactly the 8000 is offering and how it differs from many other brushes.
The 8000 is the best of what is available when it comes to your choice in the USA today. There are other options but none as comprehensive as the 8000.
There are a variety of cleaning modes, 6 in fact and it comes with a good box contents, pressure sensor, multiple brush heads a travel case and built in timer.
The Genius Pro 8000 comes with its handle, three brush heads and a charging stand, including a storage case designed for four brush heads. For convenience in using the app, you also get a smartphone holder, which can attach to your mirror, and the Genius Pro’s smart travel case lets you charge its handle and your smartphone with one outlet. Its lithium-ion battery gives you up to 12 days of brushing between charges.
The brush heads packaged with the Genius Pro 8000 are Oral-B’s CrossAction style, with crisscross bristles set at a 16-degree angle so they can easily reach between your teeth. The toothbrush is compatible with all nine Oral-B brush head styles, including heads for whitening, orthodontics, sensitive teeth, flossing and deep cleaning.
With six cleaning modes, the Genius Pro gives you specialized focus. Its options include Daily Clean, Gum Care, Sensitive, Whitening, Tongue Cleaning and Pro-Clean. We couldn’t tell much difference between some of the settings, but we definitely noticed the Whitening mode.
“Its constant revving up gave the impression of holding a Grand Prix in my mouth,” said one of our testers, “and that’s just not my thing.”
One thing our panel did like about the Genius Pro 8000 is that the design makes it easy to change brush heads. We also think it has a “mature, serious look,” as one tester put it, that gives an impression of quality. Using this toothbrush reminds us of being at the dentist. Whether that’s a good thing is subjective.
The Oral-B Genius Pro 8000 uses the same Oral-B app we described in our review of the Oral-B Pro 5000. The lower-priced toothbrush, however, does not come with the Genius Pro 8000’s advanced Position Detection technology. That feature uses facial recognition to show you exactly where you’re brushing so you don’t miss a zone.
If you need help with the Genius Pro 8000, you can reach Oral-B’s customer service by phone, email and chat. The toothbrush comes with a two-year warranty.